Sugar Swings! Serve Some: mini chocolate & green tea cupcakes

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

mini chocolate & green tea cupcakes



For Jack's international day at school this week...being half chinese I thought I'd bring in something kinda asian....I was going to do all green tea cupcakes with green tea cream cheese frosting, but my un-even oven decided to burn half the batch. Luckily the dunkin hines double chocolate cake mix was still hanging around. Either way both kinds were really tasty! Here's the recipe for the cake and icing. This recipe uses matcha green tea which is a powdered green tea used in making green tea ice cream, japanese desserts, and tea of course (it makes a great green tea latte).


The chinese symbol says "friendship" (at least according to google translator it does!) which I thought was apropos for his last year at the school he's in now since he won't see some of these kids in his new school next year. It's just melted chocolate candy wafers, that was piped onto parchment paper over a copy of the symbols.


I like green tea and the flavor was not over powering to me, although Jack said he didn't like the frosting (the same kid who when I told him I was bringing in cupcakes for his party pretty much yelled, "no more cupcakes mommy"...obviously I didn't listen to him.)

3 comments :

  1. Wow, what wonderful and tasty ideas.! I just love making unusual treats like these. Love to follow your space.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, I was wondering does it matter how much matcha powder you add to the batter, or could I just eyeball it to my liking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this recipe used 2 tablespoons of matcha powder, but you could eye ball it and it depends on how much you like the green tea flavor!

      Delete

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!