Sugar Swings! Serve Some: candy lego men tutorial....!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

candy lego men tutorial....!



....so after posting the lego dude valentines and the lego dude cupcakes.....i've gotten quite a few comments or emails about how to make them.....so here you go....my first "official" tutorial....(although i usually include how i do stuff in all my posts)....

....start with a lego minifigure ice cube mold....i got mine from an official lego store (for some reason my boys including the 41 year old seem to love that place...!)...but you can find them other places online or ebay probably has them too.....

....and you need candy melts of course...i use wilton but whatever kind you like and colors you want your dudes....for these i went with the traditional yellow, red, and blue.....i add mine to regular zip lock bags...and nuke them in the microwave until just melted...(about 30 secs or so depending on your microwave)....don't over melt....you want it just fluid enough to "pipe"...snip off an end of the bag to make a small tip....the key is to have all 3 colors ready to go at the same time and you have to work a little fast (so apologies for the kinda crappy photo pics!)....




....i start with the head....fill up about half way....don't go past the "ridge" between the head and the body or you will get the color over flowing into the body when it hardens.....



....then fill half way with a different color for the body and same with the pants...trying not to go past the "ridge" separating each section.....(if you are really motivated you can color the hands the same color as the head....but i'm usually not that motivated)...


....i stop once 4 are half way filled and then tap the mold on the counter to get the colors even....then fill the rest of the mold with the same colors again.....


....once the molds are filled....tap on the counter again....pretty hard to get make sure there are no air bubbles and to fill in all the sections of the mold....(you usually don't see the back of the lego guys as much so i don't worry about how that looks as much....you can see the colors run a bit into the different sections here)....



....i put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes then pop them out of the silicone mold (it's really easy to pop them out---never had any break doing this).....




....and you get an edible lego minifig dude.....


....or multiple lego mini fig dudes....!



....if you make these they usually get a pretty cool reaction from the kiddos or lego fans in general.....these were for a bake sale at the 6 year olds school yesterday...a cake with the lego dudes and some candy lego bricks i found at our local candy shop....


.....and cupcakes of course all wrapped up and ready to go....!



.....hope this is helpful and if you do make the lego guys....send a pic and let me know how they turned out....!

24 comments :

  1. How awesome! They look so real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your decorating ideas are so cute! I wish I had the creativity to be better at it. These little men look exactly like the plastic ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! Hi! Just stopping by. Following you from Twitter Hop Thursday! Would love a follow back: www.twitter.com/wlbks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [27 May 02:15am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU for the tutorial! I have the mold and have been wondering what the best way would be to get the head and body to be different colors. I am trying this ASAP.

    I pinned this post. http://pinterest.com/pin/31292960/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so adorable. Your Valentine's Day post inspired me to make Lego crayons for my son's Lego birthday party. I have posted a link to this blog post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get one of those molds! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your blog and this tutorial thanks for sharing! Great job! I'm your newest follower! Yay! I'm visiting from "TaterTots & Jello" I saw your link up there, I'm new to blogging and I love meeting new friends, I'd love for you to visit me on my blog:
    http://onestopbabygifts.blogspot.com

    Cheers!
    Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look awesome! My little Lego fanatic would love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them ! It's fun. I put forward on my French blog with a link to this article.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these. I have the mold and would never have thought to use it for these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I tried this, but the chocolate was chunky and would not smooth out. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it may have been overheated...try just heating at 15 second intervals until it's smooth and melted. Good luck! if you send me an email or leave an email i can get back to you directly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just finished making them for my son to take as Valentines tomorrow! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, these are GREAT! I love them and wish I'd seen them before we had our Lego birthday party. I made faux bricks for my cupcake toppers, not nearly as cute as these. Here's the link to see...
    http://fromchapelhilltochickenville.blogspot.com/2010/01/lego-birthday-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your fabulous tutorial. I am going to try making these guys tonight for my son's upcoming b-day party. Do you think if I make them ahead of time, would I be able to freeze them and use them later next week on his cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, i have done that, actually just stored them in a cool place and they were fine...! good luck!

      Delete
  17. Page has moved but you are still featured on: BEST OF THE WEB LEGO PARTIES CAKES AND FOOD check it out and grab yourself a button.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the molds and appreciate your tutorial. I'm having a hard time finding a way to get the blue the right color. The Wiltons blue candy melts are a light blue, and the Wiltons candy primary colors also has a blue that is too light. Can you give some input as to how your got your blue so dark? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together this tutorial. Really pleased with how my Lego men turned out. Take care and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. candy lego men tutorial....! Is nice post. Its also helpful to us. I think everyone like it so much. Thanks for your sharing. For more info lego storage and play table .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for tutorial. Very cute idea making them with chocolate. Going to order the mold.

    ReplyDelete
  22. go to this site to get more info on candy and more http://www.myidolpops.com/

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!