Sugar Swings! Serve Some: donuts and cupcakes...!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

donuts and cupcakes...!

donuts and cupcakes

...so these were some fun treats for a 4th of july party....i've made the mini donuts before here and since they were so easy and pretty tasty went with them again but tried a different recipe that i found on 100 cafe street for fluffy baked donuts....

mini donuts

....i had to substitute wheat pastry flour for the cake flour because i didn't have enough regular flour (go figure) and definitely didn't have the cake flour....and i needed to make these quick without time to run out to the store....so i modified the recipe a little (used 2 cups of the wheat pastry flour with about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch per 1 cup of flour)....needless to say these were not fluffy donuts, and ended up being more "cake-y" but still tasty---i also used fresh grated nutmeg so they had a good cinnamon/nutmeg flavor....!

...it's much easier to put the batter into a zip lock bag and then "pipe" into the donut pans versus spooning the batter in....it's quicker and you end up with more perfect little donuts when baked...

...the glaze is just 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla....add milk until you get the nice glaze thickness needed for dipping the donuts....also when you add the vanilla (not the clear kind) you get a kinda beige color glaze...when i added blue liquid food coloring...the blue i got was a teal color instead of royal blue....if you use the food gels (wilton, americolor) you might not have this issue....although i didn't mind since i actually love this color blue...(although it's not as 4th of july as I wanted!)


....and since i didn't want beige for the white...i used lemon extract to flavor the glaze instead of vanilla....then dip the donuts in the glaze and sprinkle immediately with your choice of sprinkles or other toppings....


...or you can drizzle on with a fork for some jackson pollack mini donuts....!


...or you can use them as toppers for some mini cupcakes....(i've mean meaning to make these since i saw just jenn's famous coffee & donuts cupcakes about 2 years ago!)

donut cupcakes

...and you end up with some double decker 4th of july donut cupcakes...!

...i hope everyone had a great holiday weekend, or just a great weekend in general if you are not in the states....we ended up in the ER on monday with our first trip for stitches...! my little guy fell and split his chin open...he is so awesome, barely cried and fell asleep while getting his 5 stitches...!

p.s. please email or leave a comment if you have found a "fluffy" baked donut recipe!

19 comments :

  1. These are perfectly, deliciously, adorable! Cake and doughnuts? Fabulous combination. Think I'll be cooking up something new in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to do the donut on cupcake theme for a long time...these were just enough inspiration to give it a try! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so adorable and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, accept for the ER part of course!! Hugs for your little one and keep on posting, your ideas are just fantastic!!

    *A fan from Amsterdam, the Netherlands*

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cupcakes are so cute! Sounds like your little boy is pretty tough and made it through the ordeal like a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun! My daughter would LOVE to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I love donuts AND cupcakes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post!It looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing:) Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw that doughnut pan the other day and thought about how fun it would be to have one! These look amazing, sorry I don't have any fluffy
    doughnut recipe's...wish I did though!

    By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donuts and cupcakes?! My kids would think they had died and gone to heaven! How fun! (I have that donut pan too and love, love it! but since I can't bake with eggs - son's allergic - I have not made a fluffy donut!) Have you tried baked yeast donuts? That's on my "to make" list!

    sorry about your little one getting stitches! ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your blog. I am going to remember your red and green cupcakes on your sidebar and make them this Christmas!! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great and I could sure go for one right now with my coffee! They look so festive and delicious! I'm new here and will enjoy following to see what you're cooking next. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought some doughnut pans this week so I'm on the lookout for some doughnut recipes. I can't wait to try this. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the perfect solution when you're at a neighborhood party and you don't want to take TWO treats (because everyone you know is on this diet or that diet)... so you just make two treats in one. Duh! No one can think badly of you!

    I also had an ER trip this weekend. Hope this week is better than last! ;) Love to see you around my blog sometime: http://confessionsofaslackermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just want to thank you and let you know that I am featuring tomorrow your treat on my blog...

    Make sure you visit and button up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! These look incredible! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!