Sugar Swings! Serve Some: Birds on a Wire Graham Cracker Cookies...!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Birds on a Wire Graham Cracker Cookies...!


So guess what my new favorite food to work with is??!  Graham Crackers! For Easter I posted these graham cracker bars and found these tasty crackers an awesome canvas to work on.  And who doesn't like graham crackers??? I think it's a rule that you have to love them, I mean they give them to people in the hospital, so it must be loved by all, right??

My kids love the cinnamon flavored ones, but they also come in honey or chocolate flavored but even plain old graham crackers are awesome.  PLUS for me they are a huge time saver because these could have also been done on sugar cookies, but that's an extra step and all that was needed for the base of these "cookies" was to tear open a new pack.


The birds on a wire idea came to me while I was staring at all the left over jelly beans we had from Easter, and we had A LOT! But I love all the fun colors they come in.  I also saw these super cute M and M chicks from Sweet Simple Stuff, which inspired these birdies!  And really this entire cookie is so easy to make:
  • Take your jelly beans and add a yellow or orange candy melt beak (add a little bit of candy wafer to a zip lock bag and microwave until just melted, snip an end and "pipe" on).  You could also just melt the wafers in a microwave safe bowl and dip a fork or toothpick in to add the beak.
  • Use an edible food writer to add eyes  
  • Break graham crackers into squares
  • For the sky background use blue and white candy melts mixed together 
  • Add "wires" with some melted chocolate for the birds to sit on
  • Add your jelly bean birds while the candy melt is still wet
  • Pipe on some little bird feet
  • Add a candy melt border in white to make it pretty as a picture!

And you get some fun and colorful (not to mention super easy) "cookies" to welcome the birds back for spring.  I love the look of the speckled jelly beans for the birdies! You could always use regular cookies for these or royal icing in place of the candy wafers, really, whatever you happen to have handy.  For me I always have candy melt hanging around in a rainbow of colors.


Anyhoo, hope you like them and thanks as always for stopping by! The weather forecast is for warmer temps in the Northeast, so I'm hoping that means spring is here to stay.  

Here are some other super cute candy birdie treats for you to enjoy!

Easter cupcakes with bird nests
Easy blue birdies
White chocolate candy filled chicks
Baby bird nest pretzels
M and M chicks

Sharing with these fun bloghops too!

Tidy Mom's I'm Loving It
AND look at all this fun cupcake related stuff out there too! I'm guessing the cupcake trend is here to stay!

  

40 comments :

  1. Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most adorable and creative thing I've ever seen! I love the jelly bean birds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, Michelle! You have such a knack for creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo cute ... I love the color variety of the jelly beans! Thank you for mentioning my chicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy moly! These are so cool! And so stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, these are brilliant! And the idea of using graham crackers... not only would my kid love it, but it would make practicing my royal icing skills without having to make a whole batch of cookies. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! and exactly why i love them, no bake or extra steps for quick projects!

      Delete
  7. JELLY BEANS!?!?! well well Michelle these little birdies found the way to my heart! :>D

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are too cute! Pinning right now!
    Leah @ Simple.Home.Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so creative. i love it! so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. These are the cutest cookies EVER!!! I love them!! So creative, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks michelle, i had much fun with them! (did the birdies last week and had to wait since i was traveling to put it together)!

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh! I LOVE these! You are so creative! I would never have thought to use jelly beans to make little birds. Pinning! :)

    We'd love for you to share this with our link party, Much Ado About Monday, if you have a chance. :)
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/04/much-ado-about-monday-no-4.html

    ~Emily
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies are totally cute and I love that you used Jelly Bellies to create the tiny birds. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the jelly belly speckled look for the birds!!

      Delete
  13. Okay this is seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen. Swoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow! SO cute. I love it! My boys would die over these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too too cute! Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love these! I just wanted to let you know that I featured your wonderful project on The Inspiration Spotlight today. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for sharing your project at homework.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-inspiration-board-spotlight-97.html

    carolyn
    homework &
    DETAILS

    ReplyDelete
  17. These turned out wonderful! So smart and creative. Thanks for linking up to Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. I've pinned this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic idea not only are they cute but my kids would love them that extra little bit because of the different colored jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omigosh -- those are the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw these on pinterest! They are incredibly cute! I'm crazy about Jelly Belly beans..and you have inspired me with those adorable little birds. One more word..Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!