Sugar Swings! Serve Some: Watermelon Pudding Cups

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Watermelon Pudding Cups


So since it's officially summertime I figured a watermelon flavored sweet was definitely needed! I've been on a search for watermelon flavored jell-o for ages and can never ever find it in stores.  When I saw both watermelon and melon flavored jell-o recently in my local food store I knew it was a sign.


Although I would have rather tried making the pudding from real watermelon, my past experience with cooking this fruit made me realize that its flavor is usually best fresh so all the watermelony flavor comes though.  (Here is a recipe for watermelon pudding from real watermelon in case you are interested!)  But since this pudding is essentially from a box, it's also really simple to put together.


To make this you need:
  • 1 Box of vanilla pudding
  • 1 Box of watermelon jell-o
  • 1 Box of melon jell-o
  • Cool Whip
  • Black sesame seeds
  1. Make 1 box of instant vanilla pudding as per the directions on the box
  2. Separate vanilla pudding into 2 small bowls
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of the melon flavored jell-o powder to one bowl and 2 tablespoons watermelon jell-o powder to the other.  Mix up well.  I also added a tiny bit of pink and green food gel, just to add a little more color.
  4. Mix in some black sesame seeds into the watermelon pudding (to look like watermelon seeds - totally optional!)
  5. Add the melon pudding to the bottom of a dish/cup
  6. Add a layer of cool whip (if you like cool whip!)
  7. Add a a layer of the watermelon pudding
  8. Chill


Then eat! 


It was really tasty! But not a subtle melon flavor.  I actually liked the watermelon (pink) pudding better than the green melon pudding, but all together and with the Cool Whip the whole thing was nice and refreshing.


Alternatively you could just use vanilla pudding and tint with food colorings/gels if you don't want the melon flavor but still want the watermelon look.


I must have a thing for watermelon as it seems this is a recurring theme for me.  See the other treats below!


Watermelon Pudding (this post)
Watermelon Cupcakes (wow what an old post!)

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy the pudding and have a great weekend!!  Working on a special father's day treat!



24 comments :

  1. Lindo! Adoro sobremesa em shotes! Ficaram lindos!

    Uma delicia de certeza!

    Beijinhos;

    Aurea Sá

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I wish I could read your note better (off to google translator!)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks D! I love the colors of watermelon, something about the pink and green with a little black!

      Delete
  3. Cute, love how you used the poppy seeds! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    Two Girls and a Party
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday. Hosted by:
    Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dana, they are actually black sesame seeds, but I'm sure you could use poppy seeds too!

      Delete
  4. How cute!!! What a fun summer snack, love the cute pudding cups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-linky-party-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is genius! I am so doing this. I love pudding! Come and visit my BBQ... http://jennymeierevents.blogspot.com/2013/06/backyard-bbq-decor_16.html

    See you soon!

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jenny! I will pop over thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Colors are great, and poppy seeds are very creative idea. Great way to serve pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Vera! they were actually black sesame seeds :)

      Delete
  8. Oh what fun! Never thought to flavor pudding with jell-o. Thanks for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday. Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look adorable i'd love for you to share them over at my link party

    http://thevelvetmoonbaker.blogspot.ie/2013/06/sweet-savoury-sunday-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. how about mini chocolate chips for the seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything to do with watermelons. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!