Sugar Swings! Serve Some: Dr. Seuss Thing 1 and 2 Meringues....!

Friday, March 1, 2013

Dr. Seuss Thing 1 and 2 Meringues....!


So every year I try to do a fun post in celebration of Dr. Seuss' birthday (which is March 2nd!).  Last year I did some Dr. Seuss characters in PEEPS form here.  And of course you need some cupcakes to go with them like these Seussical cupcakesGrinch cupcakes, and Cat in the Hat cupcakes.  How can you just not love anything Dr. Seuss related??


And meringues kinda reminded me of the hair of Thing 1 and Thing 2!


This is from a Martha Stewart recipe (you can never go wrong!) you can find here.  I didn't have a vanilla bean so just used vanilla extract and left out the lemon/orange rind too.  If you have never made meringues before they are super simple to whip up.  Once you get the egg whites and sugar melted together, you add them to the rest of the ingredients and whip it up on high until you get nice stiff peaks like this:


I used a Wilton tip #352 to pipe the wild hair but you could probably use any tip to get the effect!


You bake meringues at really low heat (200 degrees F) for about 1 and 1/2 hours, if your meringues are bigger you may need more time.  Once cooled I added some red candy melt to the bottoms just to give them a little more Dr. Seuss look and then added discs of candy melt with 1 and 2 on them.


And you get a bunch of fun and tasty treats to celebrate one of the best kid authors of all time.  Amazing his stories have stood the test of time (for reals that's hard to do, right??).  I attempted some swirl meringues as well, but wasn't as happy with the look of those, but it was good practice!



Anyhoo, Happy Birthday to you Dr. Seuss! I always look forward to this time of year too because you get so much fun Dr. Seuss stuff, St. Patty's Day and lots of yummy green foods and treats, and of course spring is around the corner.  Woohoo!  Thanks for stopping by and have an absolutely fantastic weekend!

Tidy Mom's I'm Loving It

19 comments :

  1. ohhh these are so clever. I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredible! Love them times a million! You are creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative idea, Michelle! Just pinned them to my Dr. Seuss board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so adorable! So creative!

    http://ikneadtobake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look gorgeous - thanks for sharing. I LOVE Dr Seuss day - do you have a favourite book?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cool, Michelle! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Featuring you today in my Dr. Seuss round up! :)

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2013/03/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-10-ideas-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so fun and cute! I found your cute blog on Two Cup Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! Those are the best looking and most fun meringues I have ever seen! Love the crazy hair look and the extra touch of red on the bottom! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am a new follower to your lovely blog (Via GFC)and it really feel pleasure meeting new awesome bloggers like you. Found you through Cast Party Wednesday.

    my blog: www.wilsontom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids were just asking me to make meringues the other day. I bet they would love these! Just pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun, fun, fun!! Pinned it. Thanks for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. Hope to see ya again Monday night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great! incorporating into my sons bday party Sweet table! Are these as sticky as the Martha recipe with the orange zest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela! They were not sticky really and I even stored them overnight in an airtight container. Although I'm sure if you hold them in your hand long enough they get sticky!

      Delete

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!